*****"This survey is intended to help me understand how rock music might impact a person's life in different ways. There are some questions that may seem unrelated to music, but I'm asking them so that I can get a better understanding of fans as a group. If you don't feel comfortable with a particular question, please leave it blank.
How I will use this info (i.e your privacy questions). I will not distribute this data to anyone else. Text provided may be quoted, without attribution to the contributor, in a future publication. That means you will be anonymous. I am not a "spammer" and will not give your data, including any email address you give me, to anyone else. Basically this questionnaire is for my own personal research which I will compile and hope to use in my book. I am in no way associated with any rock band or their management."
(Please note: The results for question #11 and #16 do not include responses from fans of the band I followed since the computer glitched and only posted one answer instead of multiple responses.)
2. How did you become a fan?
friends or relatives introduced me to the music 30% 30%I became friends with a fan 4% 2%
I heard a song on the radio 18% 23%
I bought one of their albums 19% 14%
I saw them perform 7% 14%
other 22% 17%
3. How old were you when you first became a fan of the band? 15.8 15.9
4. What was it that initally attracted you to them? How were they,
or their music, special or unique from other bands?
5. Do you think being a fan has influenced or changed your life? If so, how?
6. How many concerts have you attended? avg 24 avg 23
7. Have you ever met or spoken with any member of the band? 28% yes 72% no 73% yes 27% no
(Just shaking their hand and saying hello counts as a yes)
8. Can you relate to me the emotions you feel when seeing them
play live during a concert?
9. On average, how many hours do you listen to music each day? 3.5 hrs 4.2 hrs
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8+
10. On average, what percentage of your overall listening is 40% 38%
devoted to your favorite band?
10% 20% 30% 40% 50%
60% 70% 80% 90% 100%
11. Complete the following: "When I listen to my favorite band, I generally..."
(Check all that apply)
find inspiration 51%
socialize with others 23%
work through my moods 46%
remember the past 43%
think about life 49%
12. Have you ever fantasized, daydreamed, or written a story about
the band or a member of the band? Yes 28% No 62% Yes 54% No 46%
13. If yes, will you share some details?
14. When you were a teenager or in your early 20's, what were
some of your other favorite bands? (Only list top 3 favorites)
1) Beatles 2) Rolling Stones 3) Led Zeppelin 1) KISS 2) Aerosmith 3) Beatles
15. Female fans: When you first saw the band or rock music artist,
did you find yourself drawn or attracted to anyone in the group?
If so, which one(s) and why? Yes 79% No 21% Yes 100% No 0%
16. Are you interested in any of the following subjects?
(Check all that apply, if any)
mathematics, especially geometry 18%
music theory 24%
playing sports 42%
music composition 23%
following sports teams 50%
playing an instrument 33%
astrology, numerology, or Tarot cards 4%
science fiction 33%
other favorite hobbies/interests
17. Have you ever had any dreams about the band or about
any member of the band in it? If so, what were they about? 34% yes 66 % no 40% yes 60% no
18. Are there any other themes that you recall recurring fairly
often in your dreams in general? (Such as dreams about water,
or flying, or being in an unknown house, etc.) 34% yes 66% no 37% yes 63% no
19. Are you drawn to any particular countries or regions of the world?
If so, which ones?
1) England/Great Britain 2) France 3) Carribean
1) England/Great Britain 2) USA and Australia tie
20. Are there particular time periods in history that you are interested
in or like to read/watch movies about? If yes, which era?
1) WW II 2) Middle Ages 3) Early 1900's
1) Civil War 2) 1960's 3) 1970's
21. Now this one may take some thought. Can you see the entire
band or any member of the band representing a fairy tale, fable, myth,
fictional character from a movie or novel, superhero or archetype?
Aside from many rock musicians fulfilling a hero myth, can you come
up with some other more specific examples?
39% yes 61% no 33% yes 67% no
1. Gender Male Female 63% male / 37 % female 50% male / 50% female
2. Birth date - avg age at time of survey 35 38
3. What state(s) (or what country) did you grow up in?
4. What state (or if outside the US, what country) do you currently live?
5. Do you play an instrument? If so, which ones? 52% Yes 48% No 60% Yes 40% No
6. Have you had any formal music training? Yes No 40% Yes 60% No 46% Yes 54% no
7. Education completed:
Some high school 9% 5%
High school diploma 9% 19%
Some college 28% 23%
College degree 53% 53%